Tuesday 4 February 2014

Final preparation ...



The last week has flown by and as the nerves, anxiety and excitement start to really kick in I suddenly realise that I’m sitting at Heathrow airport and I am really going to the Olympics!

To say the last few days have been chaotic and a little bit frantic would be an understatement.  Trying to finish bits and pieces off at work for when I am away, keeping the training going, catching up with friends, reffing games and packing (or putting off packing until the last minute) has kept me extremely busy.

I have been buzzing around with lots of nervous energy and probably the best word to describe me is ‘jittery’!  It is only now that I am at the airport I have time to reflect on how crazy and fun the last week has been (if not a little bit stressful) ... and I am not even in Russia yet.

Physically and mentally ready


One of the most difficult challenges leading up to any big tournament I have been to, and the Olympics more so, is feeling physically and mentally prepared for what is to come.  In reality a lot of the hard work has been done by this point physically and the challenge really becomes more mental in terms of getting the balance right between training hard at the same time as not over-doing it and making sure you can give your best performance in the up-coming weeks.  Most people will know that marathon runners tapper down their runs before a big race to ensure they can give their best on race day.  Training for ice hockey is quite different in the sense you need to keep game fit right up until the tournament begins and then throughout.  It is more about explosive power and energy. 

Whilst I leave for Sochi today (Tuesday), in reality my first game won’t be until Saturday at the earliest.  Therefore I have kept to my usual training pattern as much as possible for the last week to keep me mentally in a good place and to keep the physical element ticking over.

I reffed a mid-week game in Coventry and worked the game in Guildford on Sunday night to keep on the ice.  On Saturday I went for a run with Scott which I don’t normally enjoy, because despite the fact I train much harder than him, he always manages to run faster than me and beat me.  For those of you who know me well you will appreciate how much this would infuriate me.  On announcing to him we would go for a light run my competitive streak came out and I pushed the pace for the whole run finishing with a sprint.  I don’t know if he let me win to help boost my confidence or not – but I do know when I turned around and waited for him to finish he looked pretty tired and muttered something about me cheating which is his usual claim when he loses!  So I guess I am physically as prepared as I can be and the victory has certainly helped me get into a good place mentally.

Emails from the Referee Supervisors


To help with being mentally prepared the referee supervisors have been emailing all of the female refs letting us know about travel plans and what to expect when we get there.  I’ve found the emails extremely motivated.  They have been packed full of encouragement and support for what we have achieved so far but written with a view to what is to come and the need to stay focussed.  My favourite phrase from the emails is ‘chance favours those who prepare’.  The last email was accompanied with a video montage of the women’s games from previous Olympics.  It lasts for about 6 minutes and I have found it mesmerising to watch but impossible to get through without a lump in the throat and butterflies in the stomach.  Some of the games I refereed myself and others I remember watching in Torino and in Vancouver.  It brought back good memories and has filled me with excitement for the games I will get to be a part of in Sochi.

Sharing the experience


Jemima, Angela and Jono proudly  wearing their hats 
The most exciting part of my last week has been watching my friends and family get excited for me.  I’ve only been working in my current job at UK Sport for a few months now but many of the people I work with have become close friends.  The support and encouragement they have given me over the last few weeks has been up-lifting and nothing short of fantastic.  One of the girls got some special hats knitted for us all to celebrate me going to Sochi.  Their passion and enthusiasm has been awesome and I feel very lucky to have their support.

My phone has been on fire all week with messages of encouragement and support from friends which has been wonderful.  I apologise to you all for not having a chance to respond to your messages.  Please know I appreciate them all very much and am so touched you took the time to send me encouragement and support.  I do promise to keep the blog updated as much as I can and to share the stories with you when I am back.  Having your support means so much to me! 

Inspiring a new generation


I spent yesterday (Monday) morning at a primary school in Highgate.  A friend asked if I would be able to speak at his children’s school assembly about my Olympic experience and what I am looking forward to in Sochi.  As most of you will know I have always enjoyed public speaking and doing presentations, however my usual audience would be business men and women, chief executives and directors of sports organisations.  Faced with the prospect of 400 children aged between 4 and 11 years old I felt a little out of my comfort zone and unsure how to pitch my thoughts.

Aksel and Natasha wearing my referee uniform
I shouldn’t have been worried at all because one of the most endearing things about presenting to children is their raw emotion and honesty.  From the moment they started to file in and fill the assembly hall their excitement at seeing a picture of the Sochi logo on the screen was infectious.  As I showed them pictures of the different Olympic winter sports they got more excited and the head-teacher had to keep calming them down.  I showed them a video of athletes winning medals and they ‘oooohed’ and ‘ahhhhed’ throughout.  I was overwhelmed by how real their responses were and how much they empathised with the emotions being expressed by the athletes.  I asked each year group to give me one word to describe the athletes they had seen and as they gave me their words ... ‘happy’, ‘emotional’, ‘determined’ ... I felt a small sense of pride and excitement. Maybe one day one of the children in the room would become an Olympic athlete, not because I had presented to them but because they had managed to stay young and dream rather than become cynical and afraid to try, like the rest of us adults. 

Aksel and Natasha (my friend’s children) tried on my referee shirts and helmet to the amusement of their class-mates.  The message I left them with was simple: have a dream, train hard and be the best in the world.  

Packing


With all the excitement of the week as usual I left it until the very last minute to pack for the trip.  Most people assume that I pack days in advance to ensure I am ready and have everything.  Certainly that is always the plan but it never works out that way.  The reality is that I spend a very long time thinking about packing and plan it out in my head but often leave the physical act until the last minute. 

Packing for the Olympics is a bit of a big task.  Not only do you need to pack for being away from home for 3 weeks but you also need to pack your referee bag with enough sports clothing to get you through several games.  You also need to be mindful of what you are allowed to bring in terms of clothing – the Olympics and the intellectual property rights for the Olympics are a big deal.  Official sponsors are named and so wearing clothing not from the sponsors can present an issue for the organisers and for the IOC.  Thinking through what you are packing is really important and so I’ve exchanged many emails with the other refs as we all try to understand what we can and cannot take with us.

A lot of luggage for one person!
On top of this, because it is the Olympics it is customary for referees to bring gifts for the other referees which again take up valuable luggage space.  This year I have had a lot of support from IHUK with the gifts they are sending me with for the other refs – towels made up with the IHUK logo and year on, alongside hats which have been knitted up to my chosen design and the usual pin badges which can be traded for almost anything at an Olympics.  I’ve also been lucky enough to have support from fellow officials James Kavanaugh and Mike Hicks who have given me the very snazzy black IHUK whistles to give out.  Finally Clouts has stepped up to the plate yet again and commissioned some referee badges to support breast cancer research.  Special thanks to them all for sending me to Sochi will an awesome set of gifts for the other refs.

However it is fair to say that packing all of the above is still an art which I am yet to master and so I will be taking 3 large bags with me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment